Productivity at a
significantly higher level
Intelligent clamping device from Wenzler
Intelligent clamping device
The intelligent clamping device from Wenzler with coordinated component scanning and clamping strategy
Productivity for aluminum structural parts at a significantly higher level results from the use of sensor technology and a coordinated component scanning and clamping strategy. Integrated sensors ensure that the workpiece is correctly loaded, geometrically within tolerance and optimally clamped. The benefits of Wenzler's intelligent clamping device include improved process reliability and less scrap.
The solution developed by Wenzler for machining aluminium structural castings impresses with its tidy design. Integrated cable guides ensure free chip fall. The base body is pressurized with sealing air to protect the mechanical components.
While workpieces such as aluminium structural frames from the chassis area usually require a four-point support, the intelligent clamping device from Wenzler offers two fixed support points. A virtual third point is formed via a rocker from the two additional support points to avoid overdetermination. At the same time, the deflection of the rocker is used to measure whether the geometric shape of the blank is within the specified tolerances at critical points. The kinematics of the rocker is located completely in the base body and is thus well protected from external influences. The rocker is additionally clamped for fixation. The workpiece is clamped by hydraulic swing clamps.
The integration of sensor technology increases process reliability: It is thus possible to determine much more quickly which workpiece can be machined perfectly and which must be rejected. In addition to the classic dynamic pressure sensing, force sensors have been integrated into the fixed support points. In addition to the presence check, this ensures direct clamping force measurement in the fixed support point to ensure correct clamping. Via the path measurement in the rocker, the shape of the component is recorded and a possible deformation is detected. All information is continuously transmitted via an inductive interface in real time to the control system of the machining center and transferred to a higher-level control system.
Your advantages with the intelligent clamping device at a glance:
- Increased process reliability through sensor technology
- Ensuring correct loading
- Query of the component geometry
- Avoidance of machining scrap
- Checking the clamping quality
Mechanical design of the intelligent clamping device:
- Clamping device consisting of two fixed support points, alignment pins and rocker
- Clamping via hydraulic swing clamps
- Free chip fall due to tidy design and integrated cable routing
- Sealing air to protect the mechanics and sensors
- Kinematics protected in the base body
Use of sensor technology and continuous data transmission:
- Integration of force sensors in fixed support points to measure clamping force
- Integration of displacement measurement in the rocker to measure the component geometry
- All queries with freely definable tolerance fields for process-related decision logic
- Continuous transmission of data in real time to control and control system
- Documentation of measured values